"Y.O.L.O"

"YOLO."


I keep hearing that more and more these days.  Thank you Drake.  
But I don't think everyone necessarily defines it the same.  "You Only Live Once."  I think that means live to your fullest potential.  Enjoy every second of your life.  Don't take anything for granted.  Don't sweat the little things.  Do something for yourself or for others.  Lend a helping hand.  Step out of your comfort zone.  Take chances.  Have fun, but be responsible and know that life can change in an instant.


Sunday night 5 teenagers got into a terrible car accident.  5 people who wanted to take a care free drive.  5 souls who wanted to have fun.  Who had so much ahead of them in life.  But in a matter of seconds that all changed.  4 of them died.  1 survived.  I've never met any of them.  Nor do I know of them, but I feel for them.  I feel for their families and friends.  My heart aches for every single one of them.  They were just living it up.  "YOLO" right?  Why did this have to happen?  Why did they have to be taken from us?  Each one of them had a story.  Something that made them unique and special.  Sometimes it's hard to accept the reality of situations like this one.  But deep down in my heart I believe God has a plan for everyone and that things happen for a reason.


It's amazing how much someone can impact your life.  You know, you hear about these tragic accidents happening on a daily basis around the world, but when it's close to home, it's quite a wake up call.  I can't help but continue to put myself in the shoes of the family members.  What are they going through?  How are they handling this?  How can you go on?  Maybe I shouldn't do that, but I can't help it.  I guess if I were in their shoes I would ask myself, what would the victims want?  How would they want me to feel?  Would they want me to lose my drive to go on with my life?  Would they want me to lose who I am?  No.  I truly think Lexi, Kevin, Jeffrey, Blake, and even Julia who is still alive, would want their loved ones to celebrate the lives the five of them had and have.  To think about all of the amazing moments they had with each other.  All of the memories that are to be forever cherished.  To live vicariously through them and make them proud.  


The day of the accident, I felt I needed to pay my respects to the victims.  I wanted them to know that this tragedy touched me and also inspired me.  Inspired me to love life.  To enjoy every moment I have with my loved ones.  I wanted them to know that their story will forever stick with me as well as the whole community.  I brought a bundle of daisies and laid them next to the other beautiful flowers and decorations left at the site of the accident.  I got down on my knees and prayed.  It was hard to hold back the tears, which ended up getting the best of me.  Being at the site was amazing though because the support from the community was overwhelming.  It's a beautiful thing to watch all of these people come together.  Lexi, Kevin, Jeffrey, Blake, and Julia did that.  Their passion for life and unforgettable souls made a mark on our hearts forever.  I hope they know that too.  That they arn't just another statistic.  


God gained four amazing angels and I hope each one of them are able to see how much of an impact they've made on us including Julia.  That although they arn't physically here anymore, their souls remain.  You know, my Mom always told me that our bodies are just our outer shells and what is most important is the being inside of that shell.  Our soul.  I believe our souls live on.

Lexi, Kevin, Jeffrey, Blake, and Julia,  
        You're story will stick with me and you've helped me to be a better person.  To live my life to its fullest and love for as long as I live.  Rest in peace and may angels lead you in.  Stay strong Julia.*

Comments

Popular Posts