Innocence Lost

I know my last post was about the passing of local teenagers, so I don't mean to bring up death....again, but I can't get over the shooting that just happened in Aurora, CO. I'm sure most of you have heard about this terrible tragedy. The news has been covering it left and right. 

 What in Gods name drives someone to do such a horrible and senseless act? I find it hard to wrap my mind around this massacre. That could have been any of us

 The premiere of The Dark Knight Rises was supposed to be a night to look forward to. Something that people spent hours in line at the movie theatre waiting for. Facebook and Twitter posts about the movie were being uodated by the minute. The last thing on people's minds was to experience or hear about this act of violence. When I first heard about this massacre I had just woken up from a nights rest. I was shocked. I became even more shocked when I heard about the number of casualties. I immediately thought about the 1999 Columbine massacre and felt so saddened for Colorado. 

 I've been told that I take things too personally when it comes to these types of tragedies. In my last post I mentioned how I can't help but put my self in the victims shoes or even the shoes of the loved ones. I think that's why I get so emotionally attached to situations like this. I mean I can't even fathom what those people and loved ones are going through....and went through. 

 I find myself asking the same question over and over. "How could a human being do something that horrific?" That is a question that none of us will ever really know for sure. The shooter apparently started acting strange over the past few weeks before the massacre. This was without a premeditated act. I am so glad that he will be punished for what he did, but I honestly don't believe putting him in a jail cell for the rest of his life will affect him. That man, or should I say monster, is deeply deranged and sick. Putting him in a 5 x 8 ft cell isn't going to change that. 

 Alright enough talk about him. He doesn't deserve any publicity or attention. What matters are the victims and their loved ones. No one should have to experience anything like this, but we live in a crazy world. That shouldn't stop us from living though. This shooting is just another reminder of how precious life is and how quickly our fate can change. My heart goes out to each and every one of the victims and their families. I will continue to pray for you. 

  "It is not length of life, but depth of life."

Comments

Popular Posts