Music; The Universal Language

The other night I watched "August Rush" with my boyfriend, Justin.  I had seen the movie once before but it had been awhile.  Needless to say, it is an awesome movie!  During the movie, I looked at Justin and said, "I wonder what our world would be like without music?"  Now that is a question I had never thought about up until that point.  Ever since that night I have asked myself that question a few times.  Being a guitar player myself, I couldn't even imagine not having music in my life.  But what if we didn't have the melody of a bird singing, or the luxury of the radio or iPod?  What if we didn't have a clue what a "beat" or harmony was?  What if, just what if we had no idea what the word singer even meant?  It's really hard to imagine a world without music and thank God that's not the case, but I can't help but wonder...


Music is another way to express yourself.  It's a getaway for some and a lifestyle for others.  For example, have you ever wondered what movies would be like without background tracks?  They would be pretty boring and honestly probably confusing.  Music is that extra little something that helps the audience better understand what the mood of a film is.  It sort of ties the entire plot together.


Music can help people get through and overcome difficult obstacles they may face during their lifetime.  It allows you to turn off what is going on in your life right at that very moment.  Once you start listening to a song, especially one you really like, you can leave all that was on your mind on the back burner until you are done indulging in a melody.  It can take you to another dimension.  A place you never knew existed.  Have you ever listened to a song that gave you the chills?  There was just something about it that moved your entire body...  That is why music is such a beautiful gift we're blessed to have.  There is something magical about the concept of putting two sounds together that make a harmonic noise that appeals to our senses.


There are millions and millions of people who love music out in the world, and despite the fact that we may not know a thing about each other, we have one thing in common; music.  It's pretty cool to think about the impact it makes on our lives.


I absolutely love going to concerts.  The rush I get from being right there is intense.  I feel as if nothing else in the world matters in that very moment.  All of my attention is dedicated to the sounds I'm hearing in front of me.  That's another thing I think is amazing...the fact that one artist can bring numbers of people together. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, you all are having the time of your lives together.  No matter what your background is, you all can unite as one for a night.  


If we didn't have music, would we have dance?  I suppose we could still dance, but usually when one dances, whether for fun, a class, or as a career, it's usually to some sort of music.  I mean could you imagine trying to dance to silence?  If that isn't awkward then I don't know what is.  Not only does the choreography tell a story, but I think the music does as well.  


On a more personal level, music has impacted my life greatly.  For the past eight years I've been playing the guitar and I honestly can't imagine my life without it.  Singing and playing is what makes me happy.  Whenever I'm feeling down, I pick up my guitar and once I start playing it's like all of my worries don't matter anymore.  All of my anxiety and uncertainty is gone.  It's something that makes me who I am, and it's a passion that I can carry with me for the rest of my life.  I love playing for my friends and boyfriend.  When I become a mother, I can play and sing my children to sleep.  Picking up a guitar was one of the best decisions I've ever made.


I don't know who I would be, let alone what our world would be like without music.


"You know what music is?  
God's little reminder that there's something else besides us in this universe, 
a harmonic connection between all living beings, every where, 
even the stars."

Comments

Popular Posts