A Balanced Life

So I’ve mentioned this in past blog posts, but I’ve struggled with depression just like millions of other people in this country.  About a year and a half ago I finally confided in my mom about the anxiety/depression that was consuming me.  Let me tell you, it was a struggle to get back to my happy self.  I had a hard time figuring out what makes me happy and how to get back that positive attitude I always had.  I’m so happy to say that I’m there again.


My reasoning behind this post is because I heard something yesterday that struck a chord with me.  It really made me think about where I am now in my life and is now one of my favorite quotes.  Okay so I was watching the movie, Eat, Pray, Love, and the fortuneteller that Liz goes to whose name is Ketut, says the most amazing words: 

Sometimes to lose balance for love 
is part of living a balanced life.”


That is what I have always struggled with.  Keeping my balance.  I’ve always had the hardest time keeping my happiness at a steady rate.  Just when I start feeling comfortable and content, something happens that throws me off.  I caught myself asking God why can't I feel that sense of ease and peace?  Why is it so hard for me to just be happy?!  It is all about how you spend your time.  Make sure to always find time in your busy schedule to do something that pleasures you.  I found that I feel best when I draw, play my guitar or piano, and blog.  I feel like I'm on this Earth for a reason because of those things.  I also found that it is so important to divide up my time with my friends, family, and boyfriend.  Which brings me to my next point...


"To lose balance for love..."  I have seen Eat, Pray, Love a handful of times and for some odd reason I never realized what Ketut was saying until yesterday.  That movie basically defines me and those few words really hit me hard.  It's scary to let yourself go, to let your guard down and have a vulnerable heart, but it is a risk worth taking.  So what if you lose your balance...no one is perfect.  Losing my balance for my boyfriend was well worth it, because as Ketut said, it "is part of living a balanced life."  I really do feel balanced.  That my life is rolling in the right direction.  Taking risks used to scare me, and after awhile I chose to be unhappy with my life because I didn't wan't to lose my balance.  I didn't want to change my life for the "unknown."  I mean the "unknown" is  frightening!  I've learned though that if I hadn't jumped out of my comfort zone and taken the risks I've taken in the past year, that I would be miserable.  


At this point in my life, I have absolutely no complaints.  I love the person I am and I love those I choose to surround myself with.  Losing my balance for my best friend who's also the love of my life was the best decision I've ever made.  I can't help but smile right now as I type this.  All I can say is...thank you Ketut!  Talk about words of wisdom!  It's amazing how a few simple words can put your life into perspective...can put my life into perspective.  

Comments

Popular Posts