No Regrets

I think we've all experienced a parental lecture some where along the lines of, "You're so young honey, but you'll understand when you're older," or "I was young once, I know what goes on.."

I know I have.

Then you usually respond by snapping back with some sassy remark, even though you secretly know they are most likely right. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

As much as I hate to admit my parents are right most of the time, that is usually the case. I guess it makes sense though. I mean they are 30 years older than me, so I suppose they may be a little more knowledgeable than I am...

It's amazing how much I've grown up in the past year. Just when I thought I knew everything, something happens that proves me wrong. I think that is what makes life interesting though.

A year ago I never would have thought I would be sitting in my dorm, on my bed, writing a new post for my blog, let alone starting this new chapter in my life. Thinking back to those parental lectures I've experienced in the past makes me cringe because my parents were always right! They warned me about the the outcomes of different scenarios but I wouldn't trade the past few years of my life for anything. I don't have any regrets and I don't think people should regret their past.

A past is what makes us who we are. A past is something that builds character and without one, who would we be today? How would we know what's right from wrong? How would we grow and mature? I think having a past is what makes life beautiful.

Could you imagine trying to think back to some old memories, and then realizing you have nothing to look back on? If you think about it, a past is the foundation of who we are. A past is not something to be ashamed of because we all have one. We all make mistakes, and we all do things we're not proud of, but doing so teaches us valuable lessons that we carry with us for the rest of our lives.

And although sitting in front of your parents being lectured isn't always the most exciting thing in the world, take in what they have to say even if you have to bite your tongue. Keep what they say in the back of your mind but also know that it's okay to make a mistake here and there. Mistakes make you who you are and they teach us a lot.

Like I said, I don't regret these past few years of my life because I learned so much about myself, despite the warnings my parents lectured me on. Parents may be wise and knowledgeable, and they can give as much advice as they want to us, but in the end we live and we learn.

Comments

Popular Posts