Never Have I Ever...

...Followed the crowd.

Nor do I ever plan to.

I remember back when I was in high school, some people, not all, but some had a tendency to do what everyone else around them was doing. You know experimenting with alcohol, drugs, sex, and what not. To tell you the truth, I honestly had no desire to imitate any of that.

High school was full of temptations and curiosity, but I didn't let it get the best of me. I mean sure, I drank once in awhile because I think it's okay to try things, but I have never smoked anything. Not even a cigarette. I'm sure back in high school, the fact that I didn't really go out and "party" probably seemed lame, but then again who's to say it wasn't? I had my friends who I adored and that's all I needed. Although smoking and what not isn't necessarily my cup of tea, I don't judge those who do enjoy it. Some of my closest friends party pretty hard and smoke more than just cigarettes but they're such great friends! Those things don't define who they are, and I still love them. It's just a shame because I don't like seeing them hurting their bodies.

I've told people that I've never picked up a cigarette or anything else for that matter, but they usually don't believe me. I figure I've come this far without smoking, so there is no point in starting now. I've always steered clear of the bad habit, but after my Grandma died 2 1/2 years ago, I was even more reassured that I never want to even try smoking. She died from stage 4 Lung Cancer and Emphysema, and just seeing what that chemically induced stick did to her, I was angry. Smoking is a choice. The warnings and facts are out there, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows the dangers. It is a slow suicide that is completely preventable.

Now I'm not trying to preach to the choir here, I'm simply just giving my opinion. Some people who read this might think I sound like a mom or completely lame, but I could care less. I want the future generations below me to know that it's OKAY to say no. It's your body and what you do with it is up to you, but life is short and I'd hope that you choose to take care of it. It's just one of those things that is so unnecessary to get involved with, so why even do it?

So many people seem to smoke on my campus, but I'm really proud to say I don't. Like I said, I don't judge those who do and I never will, I just wish cigarettes didn't even exist. Do you realize how many people would still be alive today if that were the case? Thousands of people die each year just from second hand smoke. It's hard to imagine what our world would be like without tobacco, but unfortunately, I don't know if we will ever live to see that day.

Want to know another fun fact? I've never been drunk. Crazy right? It's funny though because I go to parties all the time and sip on a drink here and there, and people always assume I'm "wasted." Little do they know, I've never gotten to that point before. It always makes me laugh when people tell me that because in all seriousness, that loud, talkative, fun girl at parties is me sober (Haha). For those who know me, know that I am a very open, vocal, and blunt person. I don't hold anything back. Sure, sipping on a drink probably makes me that much more vocal and fun, but for the most part, that's just my personality.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because it may seem like everyone is getting drunk, smoking, or having sex, does not mean that you have to. Obviously we are all curious and are tempted to experiment or try things, and there is nothing wrong with that, but just be smart about it. Like I said, it's your body and what you do with it is up to you, but life is precious so don't do anything to jeopardize your health especially when it is completely preventable. Take care of yourself, life is too short.





Comments

Popular Posts